Thursday, January 10, 2013

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die..

Picture it, August 5th 2006, Starved Rock, gorgeous 80 degree summer day and an outstanding wedding in progress. "Eat, Drink and be Merry" via Dave Matthews Band was our theme for the day, embossed on our cocktail napkins and other wedding accessories. Today was one of those days when I go back to this theme as a philosophy.

Our LHS community and my department has suffered several losses this school year.  Today we were informed of the loss of a recently retired member of our department. The loss of this individual came as a surprise which devastated many staff members.

In reflecting on the death, I was talking to one of my friend's at work and mentioned that I am rather unfamiliar with how to deal with death since I am fortunate enough to have almost every single one of my extended family alive and kicking.

What I can say from my limited experience in dealing with a loss is that it slaps you back into the reality that we are not on this earth forever, so cherish the relationships you have and ignore the "noise" that is your own worry of what others may be thinking.

James and I got to live a little of the "Eat, Drink and be Merry" philosophy by cooking, sharing some delicious craft beers and getting a few good laughs in with friends.  This is what life is all about.

"Your Life is Now"- John Mellencamp

No comments:

Post a Comment