Sunday, November 25, 2012

Trying to Stay Sane

The holidays bring out stress in myself and most everyone around me including my students. No matter what I do, holiday stress seems to creep through.

A lot of this has to do with worrying about making sure we as a family keep up appearances.  I realize that most people feel some level of nausea toward the holidays which is comforting since misery loves company.  Tasks such as decorating the house, sending out holiday cards, purchasing gifts and attending/hosting parties open up so many opportunities for logistical issues to arise and feelings to be hurt that it's essentially Murphy's Law at it's best. 

So what can I DO to remedy the situation and paint it the way that best suites my family's needs......

We'll start with not just trimming the Christmas Tree but also the Christmas List. Willing participants are needed and have been found which helps in the way of financial pieces.  I would FAR rather spend relaxed and unforced time with individuals that I love than worry about what color sweater they would like this year. 

Next, I am going to do my best to follow suite with action taken by the girls day care teacher and DONATE time, money and items to charity.  I am starting with a virtual tea party to raise money for The Chromosome 18 Registry and Research Group.

Also, I am going to keep my body/mind/spirit in check by making sure I keep up with running three times a week and commit to meditation again.  Along with this, James are looking to continue our low-carb diet.

Lastly, I have planned and committed to parties of those who fill our cups with as much joy as possible this season.  One of my goals for the New Year comes in from a little inspiration from Jane Lynch's Memoir "Happy Accidents".  At one point in her acting career, Jane had been cast as an understudy for a main stage actor at Second City. She dutifully filled her role of attending each and every show and performed flawlessly for several years. All along hoping and waiting for the opportunity to become a main stage character. Finally, after one of her millions of polite pleas to the house manager, Jane was told that it was never going to happen.... She reflects that part of her flaw as a human being is putting  energy into something after it's time has passed.. Jane becomes upset with her self for giving to people who would never be able to fill her cup back.  I love this reflection because I know a lot of people who have been on either end of this situation and it simply sucks. Building some self-awareness and continuing to commit to those who want to commit to family and I are key in having us live our best lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment