Sunday, September 29, 2013

Keep on Truckin

Last week was Homecoming Spirit Week at LHS.  I have a love/hate relationship with this week; on one hand, it's fun to dress up and promote activities, on the other hand, our kids usually get a little off-the wall.  This year's spirit events and homecoming court proved different.  Thursday morning first hour kicked off our spirit assembly games.  Each grade competes with each other until a champ in each of 6 or so games is called.  I head up to the weight room during this time to assist with our students who can't handle the sensory overload of being in a gym with 1500+ people... With that in mind, we have a great overall view and what I witnessed was the best sportsmanship and overall behavior of all time!  We were given a "heads up" a few days before spirit week, that a few of our students may be on the HC court.  Knowing this ahead of time was crucial in getting a game plan in action to prepare these students for the limelight.  Turns out, there was a least one winner in every grade who had a significant disability!  While I realize we are not the first high school to do something like this, it is a reflection of the student body's priorities.

I find myself diving into photography more and more as time goes on.  I love it as a hobby and appreciate those who photograph for a living! The competition is fierce and you need to have background and talent in many areas to be successful.  That being said, I am trying to focus on learning more about how to navigate my DSLR and how to create the best photographs of people.  I am signed up for a mentoring session with Amy Tripple at the end of October to get a direction of how to reach the latter goal.  I'm also starting to build a simple "prop box" for family photos.  One of my friend's requested that I take pictures of her and the family for their Christmas Cards! I'm excited to have my first official "session" with a great family.

I came across a post from one of my 18q parents that spoke about not treating those who are affected and there family's as victims.  Though we have to navigate a different road than most, each child's road is going to vary regardless of ability.  This ties in with continuing to live our lives with goals and hopes and dreams with the understanding of what Adele can and will potentially bring to the table. My aunt put it best when she said "Kelly, they're going to break your heart one way or another".  Hard times happen to all who choose to get into this crazy world called parenting!

On that note, time to write some "hopes and dreams" for other students and edit some photos from this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment